- If someone in your family is dying, determine if you wish the Rabbi’s recitation of prayers at your home, in services, in hospice or in a hospital.
- Please make a list of family contacts with whom you would like the Rabbi to speak.
- You do need a Rabbi for funerals and burial. Please contact Rabbi Levin or Rabbi Novick regarding their availability for the service so you can schedule accordingly.
- The Rabbi will officiate for services even if you choose to do a memorial service instead of a burial service.
- Please indicate if you wish to have information circulated to the congregation for Shiva (including location
),or any other mourning observance. The Rabbi will discuss with you how to accommodate your needs with Jewish practice.
- Jewish law varies on the recitation of the Kaddish. Please discuss with the Rabbi.
- Arrangements can be made for listing of a beloved in the Yahrzeits for the year of mourning and for notifications of subsequent Yahrzeits. Tzedakah, Jewish
charity,and acts of righteousness are part of the practice of mourning and remembering a loved one.
Assistance with Funeral Arrangements
Determine who will be assisting you with the
funerqalarrangements. If possible, do not go alone to make funeral arrangements.
- Garden of Remembrance. Hevrat Shalom is affiliated with the Garden of Remembrance and you may purchase a cemetery plot in our section. Members of Hevrat Shalom receive financial considerations through their membership.
- Other Area Cemeteries – There are other Jewish cemeteries in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan
- Interfaith Couples – If you are part of an interfaith couple burial is permitted for a
member of your family at Garden of Remembrance as long nonJewish as youare a member of a Jewish Congregation such as Hevrat Shalom. The Rabbi can give you information on arrangements for interfaith couples at other Jewish cemeteries.
Danzasky-Goldberg Memorial Chapels, Inc.
1170 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
Edward Sagel Funeral Direction, Inc.
1091Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
Torchinsky Hebrew Funeral Home
254 Carroll Street, NW Washington, DC 20012
Joseph Gawler’s Sons, Inc.
5130 Wisconsin Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20016